We are seeking ghost writers for immediate hire who can produce high quality work in a timely manner, specifically for a snarky "cozy mystery" book series.
Successful applicants will be invited to write several additional series over the next few years, if you'd like to do more and continue working with us.
You must be fluent in written US English, familiar with the "cozy mystery" genre, and able to write both exciting scenes and deep, nuanced characters.
Here's the thing. For us, finding the right ghost writer is a little bit like dating. It's not about whether you're a catch, but more about whether we're a good fit.
Below are some of the things we'd put on our dating profile:
• If your writing is full of: Walked, said, looked, nodded, then please swipe left
• If you use repeated words and phrases, even within the same paragraph, we're not a match
• We also don't like long narratives with lots of all-knowing narrator explanation. We prefer to let the characters' actions and dialog reveal what's going on in the characters' minds
• Similarly, we find scenes have more tension and information conveyed when we tell the story from a specific point of view of one of the characters in the scene. (And unlike traditional styles we do swap POV from scene to scene)
• We tend to use shorter paragraphs, and break up the dialog onto its own lines, making it easier to see who said what
You will be given detailed beats, scene by scene (especially for the first few novels) and often dialog pieces we'd like included.
We're looking for higher standard of writing than often found in the indie market. Our readers are intelligent, deep thinkers. We provide the reveals, the twists and turns etc., but we do need folks who are able to take out character profiles and demonstrate who these people are through their actions and reactions in scenes.
• We will pay you 3 cents a word. Each book in the series is about 60k words a piece, so that's about $1800 per book you complete, contingent upon bonuses for on-time completion
• We expect you to deliver approximately 1 book every 3 1/2 weeks - about 20k words per week. We need these deadlines strictly adhered to. If you can deliver them faster, that's excellent.
• Feedback with edits, comments etc will be given for adjustments to be made to the work. You need to be aware that this is part of what we're paying for. We will not compensate you for work we find unacceptable/unusable.
Our selection process:
• We look at your responses to the questions and your writing sample (see last section)
• If you seem like a potential fit, we will ask you to write 1k words of a practice scene from one of the books you'll be working on
• If it's acceptable, you will be compensated $10 for your work, and I may give feedback for you to do a second pass
• If that's up to scratch, we'll hire you for this job and get you onto the first 2k words of the first book in the series
• From there we go through it again, and then as we get more comfortable we move up to 10k, then 20k
• Payments are made incrementally after each 10k/20k milestone (including edits). We release the funds once we're happy with the words you've delivered
• Very soon we get to the point where you may be working on batch 2, while we're working on batch 1, and then we release the batch 1 money but you're already on with the next piece
• English level: Fluent (US dialect)
• Writing level: Expert
• Familiar with "cozy mystery" genre
• Can follow a strict writing schedule
If interested in the role, please submit a request and I will send a PDF with a chapter from a book in the series as an example of the writing style we are looking for, as Craigslist does not allow document attachments.
Please attach (or provide a link to) at least one 1000-word example of your mystery writing (preferably "cozy-mystery") when you submit your application... this can be something which you have already written or something new (this is just to give us an idea of your style, it doesn't have to be a complete story or scene/chapter, it just needs to be at least 1k words long).
When submitting your proposal, please introduce yourself, and answer the following questions:
1. Are you fluent in both written and spoken US English?
2. What is your ghostwriting experience?
3. Do you have experience writing snark, cozy mystery or mystery in general? (please elaborate)
4. Are you capable of delivering at least 20k words per week? Our publication dates are very important to us.
5. Why should we choose you for this project?
Please do send at least one example of your work, ideally two, and due to the volume of response, please title your email 'Talented Writer Interested in Ghost Writing Cozy Mystery' or your email will be disregarded.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers