If you have already sent us something and not received a response at all, or received a response after November 14th, please resubmit. The email account the messages were being forwarded to has been compromised and we no longer have access to it. If you resend we will get back to you to let you know we have received it. Our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We are a small team of writers and editors seeking high quality writers to produce content in a number of worlds and series, and you may have seen our other Craigslist adverts for other positions available as well as a general interest ad.
We have an immediate position available specifically for a 'humorous military action/adventure' book series.
Successful applicants will be invited to write several additional series over the next few years, if you'd like to do more and continue working with us.
You must be fluent in written US English, familiar with the "military action/adventure" genre, well-versed in writing humor, and able to write both exciting scenes and deep, nuanced characters that will draw the reader in. Punchy, witty and humorous repartee is weighted highly.
Some important things to note:
- If your writing is full of 'walked', 'said', 'looked', or 'nodded' we're probably not a good fit
- If you use repeated words and phrases, even within the same paragraph, we're not a match
- We also don't like long narratives with lots of 'all-knowing' narrator explanation. We prefer to let the characters' actions and dialog reveal what's going on in the characters' minds
- Similarly, we find scenes have more tension and information conveyed when we tell the story from a specific point of view of one of the characters in the scene. (And unlike traditional styles, we do swap POV from scene to scene)
- We tend to use shorter paragraphs, and break up the dialog onto its own lines, making it easier to see who said what
You will be given detailed beats, scene by scene (especially for the first few novels) and often dialog pieces we'd like included.
We're looking for higher standard of writing than often found in the indie market. Our readers are intelligent, deep thinkers. We provide the reveals, the twists and turns etc., but we do need folks who are able to take out character profiles and demonstrate who these people are through their actions and reactions in scenes.
• We will pay you 3 cents a word. Each book in the series is about 60k words a piece, so that's about $1800 per book you complete, contingent upon bonuses for on-time completion
• We expect you to deliver approximately 1 book every 3 1/2 weeks - about 20k words per week. We need these deadlines strictly adhered to. If you can deliver them faster, that's excellent.
• Feedback with edits, comments, etc. will be given for adjustments to be made to the work. You need to be aware that this is part of what we're paying for. We will not compensate you for work we find unacceptable/unusable.
• English level: Fluent (US dialect)
• Writing level: Expert
• Familiar with "military action/adventure" genre
• Can follow a strict writing schedule
When responding, please include a short sample which best showcases your ability to write 'humorous military action/adventure'. We are receiving a great deal of responses to this job posting and constantly reviewing writers' work. Typically the first thing we will do is quickly look over your sample to determine if we'd like to proceed, so please be sure to attach something relevant to the genre. While we appreciate that your skills may be transferable to writing in this genre, we simply don't have time for coaching or ramp-up and need writers that can dive right in with minimal assistance, so please exclude yourself if you do not have any experience with military action/adventure or humorous writing specifically.
When submitting your proposal, please introduce yourself, and answer the following questions:
1. Are you fluent in both written and spoken US English?
2. What is your ghostwriting experience?
3. Do you have experience writing humor or military action/adventure? Please elaborate!
4. Are you capable of consistently delivering at least 20k words per week? Our publication dates are very important to us.
5. Why should we choose you for this project?
Due to the volume of response, please title your email 'Talented Writer Interested in Military Action/Adventure' or your email will be disregarded.
Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you!
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers